The St. Maron education fund (“Trust Fund”) was established in 1984 under the name “St. Maron’s Education Foundation.” It was the idea of Msgr. Dominic Ashkar, the driving force behind the concept, and was presented to the Parish Council. After due deliberation it was then referred to a special committee constituted for this purpose and named the “Education Committee.”
The members of the committee were:
- Msgr. Dominic Ashkar
- Atty. Ronald Galip
- Dr. Mounir Awad
- Remon Hayek
- Dr. Benjamin Hayek
- Judge Martin Joyce
- Deacon Joseph Nohra
- Dr. Elias Saadi
- Dr. George Saadey
- Joseph T. Joseph
- Florence Amon
The establishment of the St. Maron Education Foundation was formalized and became effective on April 2, 1984. The Bylaws were approved and signed by Bishop Francis Zayek, Diocese of St. Maron.
The Foundation was created to devote and apply the “Trust Fund” primarily for educational purposes of parishioners of St. Maron Parish, Youngstown, Ohio,including, for such purposes, assisting and contributing to the costs and expenses of education and conducting educational activities and projects.
The fund started its scholarships and other education support in 1987.
St. Maron Education Foundation Scholarships Available
- The Msgr. Dominic F. Ashkar Scholarship – $2,000.00
- John J. and Anna Stephens Scholarship – $ 1,500.00
- Dr. John J. Stephens, Jr. Memorial Scholarship – $1,500.00
- Mary Louise and Edward R. Beshara Scholarship – $ 1,500.00
- Josephine Hanna Memorial Scholarship – $ 1,500.00
- Betty Claire Nohra Memorial Scholarship – $1,500.00
- Thomas and Mary Zachea Joseph Memorial Scholarship – $1,500.00
- Eugene Michael Zola Memorial Scholarship – $1,000.00
- St. Maron Education Foundation For Special Achievement and
- Dedication Scholarship – $ 1,500.00
- Elizabeth Jabaley Beshara Grant (Two awarded to Graduate Students only) – $ 1,500.00 each
- St. Maron Education Foundation Scholarships – $1,000.00 for each student who qualifies
Scholarship awards will be given to the applicant who meets or exceeds the qualifications established for each scholarship.
For More Information
For more information on the St. Maron Education Foundation, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org or write or call:
The Education Foundation
St. Maron Parish
1555 S. Meridian Rd.
Youngstown, OH 44511